The ship-museum Santo André is an extension of the Maritime Museum of Ílhavo. It was part of the Portuguese cod-fleet and aims to illustrate the trawling techniques.
This side trawler was built in 1948, in Holland, ordered by the Empresa de Pesca de Aveiro. It was a modern ship of 71,40 meters length and a hold capacity for over 1000 tons of fish.
In the 80’s there were restrictions concerning overseas fishing which led to a severe reduction of the fleet. This ship has not escaped and was unmasted on the 21st August 1997.
The ship-owner and the Municipality of Ílhavo decided to transform the old trawler Santo André in a museum. Opened as a museum, on the 23rd August 2001, the ship Santo André started a new cycle of its life: show the trawlers cod-fishing to the present and future generations while honouring the memory of those who worked aboard during its half century of activity.
Between October and December 2006, the ship-museum was closed to be submitted to remodelling works and contents renewal, reopening on the 13th January 2007.
Considering the extraordinary success of the first five years of the ship as a museum, during which exceeded an hundred thousand visitors, and the excellent possibilities as a patrimonial unit capable articulating cultural consumption and tourism, after the fulfilment of this recovery plan it began a new cycle of its sustainable and dynamic existence.
As the seamen feel and believe, we also believe that ships have life and deserve to be preserved because they keep stories and history, memories and identities.